No kitchen is complete without a Dutch oven, and when it comes to baking sourdough, nothing beats the humble dutch oven, see also Compact Toasters.
From its superior heat retention to its ability to bake evenly, a Dutch oven is an essential tool for any home baker. In fact, with the right recipe and technique you can create some of the most delicious loaves of sourdough imaginable!
1. Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven
This stylish 2-in-1 set includes both a 5.5 quart dutch oven and a shallow 10.5 inch skillet that can be used as a lid. The creamy porcelain enamel interior makes it anti-rust, requires no seasoning, and allows you to cook your favorite dishes in this convenient pot at temperatures up to 500℉.
Plus, with its short handle and domed iron cover, you’ll have plenty of room to prepare all sorts of roasts, stews, and other delicious dishes.
- Includes both a 5.5 quart dutch oven and a shallow 10.5 inch skillet.
- Creamy porcelain enamel interior is anti-rust.
- Oven safe up to 500℉.
- Not dishwasher or microwave oven safe.
- Dutch oven can be heavy when filled with food.
- Lid does not fit snugly on the pot so there may be some steam loss during cooking.
2. Crock Pot Artisan Oval Dutch Oven
This highly durable dutch oven is perfect for slow-cooking and simmering, as well as braising, baking and more. With its cast iron construction, it will retain and evenly distribute heat, while the enamel finish makes it easy to clean and naturally nonstick.
- Durable cast iron construction.
- Porcelain enamel finish.
- Ideal size for larger batches.
- Heavy to lift.
- Needs to be washed by hand.
- Not suitable for stovetop.
3. SULIVES Non-Stick Dutch Oven Pot
It’s a great option for anyone looking to make flavorful meals that are both healthy and energy efficient. The rainbow colors add a pop of color to any decor while the non-stick coating makes it easy to clean up afterwards.
Plus, the cast iron construction offers superior heat retention and continuous simmering away from fire, making it ideal for serving right from the oven straight to the table.
- Suitable for 2-3 people.
- Non-stick and easy to clean.
- Superior heat retention.
- Heavier than other types of Dutch Ovens.
- Can be difficult to season.
- Must be handled carefully due to cast iron construction.
4. Cast Iron Dutch Oven
Crafted to last for generations, this cookware offers superior heat retention and distribution in order to achieve perfectly cooked meals every time. It comes complete with non-slip, heat-resistant handle covers, pan scraper and our Care and Use Guide.
With its ergonomic dual side-handle design, it is designed for two handed use and confident grip while cooking or serving food. Let us take a look at some of the pros and cons of this product.
- Superior heat retention and distribution.
- Intuitive dual handle skillet.
- Comes complete with non-slip, heat-resistant handle covers.
- Must be hand washed.
- Not dishwasher safe.
- Not suitable for air drying.
5. COMMERCIAL CHEF Dutch Oven
This pre-seasoned cookware provides excellent heat retention to keep your foods warm after cooking, while its thick-walled construction protects against rust and provides a natural, non-stick surface. Cleaning this cast iron pot is also very simple; just handwash with gentle detergent and dry thoroughly with a towel!
- The shallow lid doubles as a skillet.
- Pre-seasoned cookware to protect from rust.
- Features two easy grip handles.
- Can be heavy to lift.
- Not dishwasher safe.
- Cast iron can require more maintenance than other cookware materials.
Look out for an enameled interior to help keep your bread from sticking. With the right dutch oven, your homemade sourdough can be light, airy and full of flavor!
Q: What is the best size dutch oven for sourdough?
A: The ideal size of a dutch oven depends on the amount of dough you plan to bake. If you are looking to make large loaves, aim for an 8 or 9 quart capacity dutch oven. For smaller loaves, a 4 or 5 quart will do the trick.
Q: Is a pre-seasoned dutch oven better for sourdough baking?
A: A pre-seasoned dutch oven can be beneficial as it helps create a non-stick coating that prevents your bread from sticking to the pan. However, it’s important to note that pre-seasoned Dutch ovens may require some additional seasoning to ensure your bread won’t stick, read also Best Toasties Makers.
Q: Does the lid need to be tightly fitted?
A: Yes, it is very important for the lid of the dutch oven to have a tight fit in order for the dough to bake properly. If there is too much air circulation, your bread could end up burning or not rising correctly.